transom cut out

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Pudgey1922
New Poster
New Poster

transom cut out

Post by Pudgey1922 »

I’m building my first boat. A Dory 16. Somehow I cut the motor cut out 6” too low. I didn’t notice until I already had the transom and sides attached. Is there a fix for this. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_1661.jpeg

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: transom cut out

Post by OlivierP »

Well, there might be a clever way and you may find better advice, but considering where you are in the build I would remove and redo the whole transom...
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

Pudgey1922
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Pudgey1922 »

How do you get it cut loose when it’s glued to the stringers and everything

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

You could splice a new piece(s) in there but you’ll need to remove some of the existing to make a lap joint. If that raises questions then, as OliverP said, I’d consider cutting the existing transom out and starting over.

Keep in mind any repair will need to support the weight and thrust of whatever motor goes back there. Might not be a big deal on a 15hp and lower. Might be horrible on anything larger.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Pudgey1922
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Pudgey1922 »

My idea was to add a 2x6 on top of the 2x8 on edge from side to side of the boat. I’d gusset them together with a piece of ply covering both on the inside. I’d piece in the 3/4 ply on the outside. Glue and fiberglass tape all together.

Buz
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Buz »

Problem with gluing ply over your 2 boards to make them a one piece transom is thickness of the transom. How far do your outboard's transom clamps open? Enough for 1 1/2" plus how much ply? Dont know about your plans but my transom plans call for three layers of 3/8" to make about a 1 1/8"-1 1/4" transom.
Some people are heroes. Some others just want a pic
Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
FB-11 Jean Bille in 2017, rebuilt '23

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Something to consider if you want to minimize the effort, is to install a manual jack plate, some will give you the 6" lift you need. You may still extend the transom to prevent water from entering the cockpit but the extension would not be structural if you bolt the plate in the existing clamping board. Just food for thought.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.